18701 Northline, Southgate MI 48195     ​Phone: (734) 287-4545 / Fax: (734) 287-2978  




*It is a good idea to have a fire extinguisher in the home and all family members should know how to use it. Also everyone in your home should know where the gas valve shut off is located. This safety knowledge can prevent a small problem from becoming a large problem.

Annual check list:

  • Chimneys
  • Fire Extinguishers
  • Smoke Alarms
  • Carbon Monoxide Detectors
  • Gas Appliances

DISCLAIMER: This fireplace safety page is a list of 'general' information for the public. It is very important to read and keep your owners manual on-hand it contains important information that this page does NOT provide. Various  types of fireplaces may have varying safety information that may differ from another type.

Before starting a fire in a wood burning fireplace, make sure the flue is open. This allows the smoke to venilate up the chimney. Do not close the flue until all of the embers stopped burning in the fireplace.​

When using a wood burning fireplace, always use well aged dried wood. Wood that is not dried out and green will create more smoke and creosite build up in the chimney.

Have your chimney check annually by a professional for creosite build up and other obstructions. Make sure the chimneys are swept once a year, twice a year if you burn alot. Creosite build up is the #1 cause of chimney fires. Most people do this in the fall season. (The Fireside Shoppe provides this service.)

When using a wood fireplace or wood stove be sure to keep your fireplace safety screen properly placed around the fireplace or stove.

Be sure to keep your fireplace safety screen properly placed and secured on the fireplace/stove. This will protect children and pets from flying sparks and getting too close to the flames.

Keep your family safe with fireplace  preventative safety tips.

On gas units without a built-in safety screen, a free standing fire screen can prevent children and pets from getting too close. Exercise caution around the fireplace, even pilot lights generate heat; just because your fireplace is not on, does not mean it isn’t warm. It is a good idea to wait 30 minutes before touching it. Surfaces, logs and cermamic glass need a cooling off period.